Who doesn’t hate cracked heels? Well no one can blame you because not only are they bad to look at but most often than not, they are painful and uncomfortable. However, fret not as there are available remedies that can help you deal with these cracked heels. They are very natural and you can do it at the comfort of your homes. Preventing cracked heels can be done with simple foot care tips. Consult a podiatrist to learn more about foot skin care and how to prevent foot disorders. Dr. John Schilero is a podiatrist who specializes in helping people with cracked heels and foot injuries.
Below are some "home remedies" for cracked heels, always check with your podiatrist before trying any of these remedies.
1) Scrubbing – When I say scrub, it literally means scrub. This is to remove the hard and dead skin away. You may do this scrubbing daily until your cracked heel is healed completely.
- Before going to bed, fill a foot tub with warm water and mix with liquid soap.
- Soak both feet for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20-30 minutes, your skin will soften and you may scrub the loosened dead skin cells using a pumice stone.
- Rinse your feet with clean water.
- Pat dry with a soft towel.
- Apply foot cream or moisturizer.
- Put on a pair of cotton sock overnight.
2) Natural exfoliant treatment – regular exfoliation of your feet helps to prevent cracked heels. However, you should take note not to use harsh exfoliants as it can do more harm than good.
- Crushed 2-3 tablespoon of rice but don’t make it fine.
- Add honey and apple cider vinegar to the crushed rice and mix until a rich thick paste is made.
- You may add a spoon of olive or sweet almond oil for cracks that are very deep.
- Immerse your feet for 20 minutes in warm water and gently massage your feet with the mixed natural exfoliant.
3) Indian Lilac – this is also called neem or margosa leaves and is one of the best way to treat your cracked heels especially when they are infected or itchy as it has an anti-fungal properties.
- Pound a handful of neem leaves until it becomes a paste.
- Add three teaspoons of turmeric powder. Mix.
- Apply the mixture on your cracked heels for half an hour.
- Wash your feet with warm water and use a clean cloth to pat dry.
At Palm Beach Orthopaedic Institute located in West Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Jupiter and Wellington, we specialize in helping people suffering from foot skin conditions. To schedule an appointment, call 561-694-7776 EXT. 2112.