Have your flip flops seen better days? Are they still wearable but - well, grungy?
Wearing them to the beach and in and out of locker rooms and spas can really take a toll on these light sandals. Your feet sweat and your flip flops just keep collecting lots of dirt and maybe bacteria and fungus too.
Flip flops benefit from regular cleanings. While they may never look brand new again, you'll be more comfortable wearing them and knowing that they are clean and ready for your next trip to the pool.
Cleaning flip flops is easy and doesn't take a lot of supplies. Try these methods:
Deep Cleaning. If your leather, rubber or plastic flip flops have been neglected, start here. You can repeat this process every 2-3 months.
- Make a paste of 1/2 cup baking soda with a little water.
- Spread on the top surface and sole of each flip flop and use a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub. Don't omit the crevices where the straps connect to the base.
- Rinse thoroughly, dry with a paper towel, then let them air dry for a day in the sun.
Quick Maintenance. You can keep your flip flops smelling and looking fresh with this fast wash:
- Use a damp paper towel with a little vinegar, dish soap or rubbing alcohol to wipe down all the surfaces.
- Wipe all surfaces again with a wet paper towel to remove the cleaning substance.
- Use another paper towel to dry them and let air dry.
Let your washing machine do the work. Toss a few pairs of rubber or plastic flip flops in your clothes washer with a cup of vinegar and a dash of detergent. Wash at a delicate setting in cold water and then let air dry. Note: Don't use this method for those special flip flops that have decorative jeweled decorations or beading!
We Can Help With All Types of Foot and Ankle Problems and Injuries
Dr. John Schilero, DPM, board certified podiatrist at Palm Beach Orthopaedic Institute has the right experience in diagnosing and treating all types of foot and ankle problems, injuries and sports injuries. Please call us at 561-694-7776 EXT. 41 to make an appointment at one of our four offices conveniently located in Palm Beach County. You can also request an appointment at the website.