Fungal toenails develop from fungi that thrive in hot and moist locations such as pools, showers, locker rooms or steam rooms. It can cultivate and harm the skin under the nail. Moreover, it can be difficult to treat due to its location under the toenail. So, if toenail fungus is not treated early on, it can spread to other nails and will be more difficult to destroy.
Other contributing factors for toenail fungus include:
- Misusing antibiotics because they alter the stomach’s environment and allow for fungi to multiply
- Poor circulation
- Weakened immune systems
- Athlete's foot spreading to the toenail
- Excessive sweating
- Walking shoeless in moist public areas
Tips to help combat toenail fungus:
- Sterilize shoes since they are ideal locations for the development of fungi.
- Use foot powder to provide your shoes with antifungal agents to prevent a toenail infection.
- Wash your feet on a daily basis to prevent the buildup of harmful fungi residing under the toenails.
- Laser technology can also be used for extreme cases to penetrate the toenail and destroy the fungus underneath without invasive techniques.
Contact us at Palm Beach Orthopaedic Institute, at any one of our offices in West Palm Beach, Jupiter, Wellington and Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. Our podiatrist, John Schilero, DPM, will provide lasting comfort to your toenails by eliminating your toenail fungus at its source! So, please make an appointment by calling our office at 561-694-7776 EXT. 41 and check out our Patient Education library for more comprehensive information on how to combat foot infections and keep your in great health for the long-term.